"I suppose there are people who can pass up free guacamole, but they're either allergic to avocado or too joyless to live."— Frank Bruni

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

at the end of the day, it is what it is

It makes me cringe every time I hear it. I probably don't need to since I've yet to say it, but I resolve to never say "At the end of the day..." in the context of, well, in most cases, anything. Most of the time, there is no need to preface a thought with that phrase. A pretty accurate definition offered by Urban Dictionary called it "a verbal crutch" and I couldn't agree more. What I thought was just an epidemic within the professional sports world has not only been heard among my senior leadership at work but out of the mouths of congressmen.

Equally cringe-worthy is "...it is what it is..." What does that even mean? It adds nothing to a conversation and makes you sound like a dud who likes cliches. It's usually an afterthought, an under-the-breath statement said at a lull in a conversation, when before this phenomenon, one would just sigh. Hence, this 5-word phrase isn't even worth saying. You're better off just sighing.

I blame these linguistic fads on laziness. I hope they pass soon and we return to days when we spoke of ideas containing sincerity, substance and thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment