"I suppose there are people who can pass up free guacamole, but they're either allergic to avocado or too joyless to live."— Frank Bruni

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

more home-cooked meals

Still playing catch up, here is a round-up of some home-prepared meals from the last month or so.

This was an instant meal, courtesy of a good friend who brings us goodies every time she goes back to Japan. As you can see, it's from a 7-Eleven, but it tasted much better than anything you could get from an American 7-Eleven. It was a wet-pack of mushrooms and various root vegetables in a bit of gravy that I simply poured in with my uncooked rice. Turn on the rice cooker and voilà, a meal!

This is a picture of a lovely romanesco that I roasted one night. I forgot what I put on it, but I remember liking it a lot. We love our cruciferious vegetables. (see cauliflower below)

This is just some scrambled eggs with ketchup and hot sauce on an English muffin, made on a telework day. One of my favorite things about working from home is I get to prepare my meals fresh (or not, depending on how I feel) and enjoy them without anyone asking me "What are you eating?" or saying "I smell..."

This was a more recent meal (prepared last night) of roasted cauliflower with capers, pork chops (shown with a stray caper on it), and red chard. We were proud of this no-carb creation.

An old favorite I used to make in my Brooklyn efficiency, now made in a bigger, better-equipped kitchen. It's a Turkish-style lamb pasta dish: ground lamb, bow-tie pasta, zucchini (original recipe calls for eggplant), yogurt and mint. It's smelly (garlic and lamb) but so frickin good.

No comments:

Post a Comment