"I suppose there are people who can pass up free guacamole, but they're either allergic to avocado or too joyless to live."— Frank Bruni

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

hula hooping

Among the various things I do to validate my existence is hula hooping.

(photo cred: here)

I reinstated my love of the pastime a couple months ago, and hooray!...I'm still loving it. My favorite time to do it is after I eat, to aid digestion and to engage my midsection at least for a little bit. Plus, it's just fun. I've also discovered that I could still do my Skip-It move using the hoop.


In celebration of my new favorite activity, this week's List is one of hula hoop fun facts!
  • Hula hooping has been around for thousands of years, but is often thought to have been invented in the 1950s, when they started making hula hoops out of plastic.
  • During the ancient years, hoops were made of stiff grasses, grapevines, rattan or dried up willow.
  • The term "hula" was attached to the hooping activity in the 19th century, after some British soldiers traveled to the Hawaiian Islands. 
  • The hula hoop was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1999.
  • The record for the most hoops twirled simultaneously is 132, set by Paul "Dizzy Hips" Blair on 11 November, 1999.
  • The current (verified) record for longest hooping session is 74 hours, 54 minutes, held by Aaron Hibbs in 2009.
 (pic cred: here)

All facts from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment