Thanks to a Modern Marvels film on pigs shown at work, I learned the following...behold this week's List:
(photo cred: here)
- Pigs produce four times the amount of waste as humans.
- Fumes from pigs' waste is highly toxic.
- Pigs' anatomy is very similar to that of humans.
- Conventional pigs (as opposed to organic, free-range pigs) are typically market-ready at about 6 months.
- Darker pork is usually of higher quality (and higher in fat content) than lighter-colored (and leaner) pork.
- Genes are selected by breeders to create a leaner, longer pig that yields less fat, but more ribs and bacon.
- Artificial insemination is often used for breeding.
- Pigs whose destiny is to become prosciutto are fed acorns.